Monday, June 21, 2010

Everything's coming to an end.

As usual, I left my house with only a few minutes to get to the train station. As I hurried along the pavement I came to an abrupt halt with my foot hovering over a pigeon's corpse. To be confronted with death at 8.38am was a bit of a startling beginning to the day. I stood there for only the briefest of moments before carrying on my charge to catch the train, but the pigeon cadaver seemed to imprint itself on my mind. It looked strangely peaceful with no obvious wounds.

Due to various reasons I had got behind with Ashes to Ashes, Lost and 24, but had stored the remaining episodes on Sky+. And so it was, that in a very short duration of time my wife and I saw 3 of our favourite TV shows come to an end.

24 was full on, action-packed stuff to the end. We had little inkling of how that was going to end, and of course it leaves Jack free to go on and save the world in the up-and-coming 24 film. All-in-all, I think they managed to end the TV series very well.

The same can't be said for our other two favourite shows. The end to Ashes to Ashes felt weak and predictable, but at least it offered a certain amount of, shall we say 'closure'.

The end to Lost was another thing altogether. The show ran over 6 seasons and although my wife was growing weary of all the mystery, I was still loving it. Brilliant entertainment. It's just such a shame the ending was so inconclusive. The few mysteries that they tried to answer just seemed to generate more questions. I think fans were hoping to see some great revelation and I think the writers knew that, but unfortunately had nothing to satisfy the year's of speculation. They rounded up the story by showing a mystical great reunion of the dead/lost. A bit of a cop out and not very original (had just watched Ashes to Ashes – same sort of thing). I think they were trying to give us a satisfying ending, which whilst still being shocking, was happy. And so both shows brought their stories to a close by trying to deal with that one last door that we all have to walk through – death. They depicted death as being a place of final closure, with nice hazy light, where everyone is happy and it's all good... and I think that's how most people like to imagine things end. Reunited with friends, happy, peaceful and warm.

Hmmm, shame people don't take more notice of how God says it's all going to end. It's only through Jesus that things will end well. Apart from Him, there's certainly not going to be any nice hazy light, forgiveness and happiness. Let me quote from John 3:16-18...
'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.'
So there it is. When we die we either stand before God saved and forgiven or condemned.

In a way, that dead pigeon I saw had it easy, it's end had come and it wasn't morally responsible for it's life. But as for us, we are... everything will end one day, but the question is, how will it end for you? Personally eternal life through Jesus is my preferred ending. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment